Where are my iBatis log messages?

I had setup my webapps and Tomcat to use log4j according to their very own documentation [insert-link-here] but my webapps were not logging iBatis log messages nor the java.sql messages that it uses.

Short story first:
Because of what must obviously be classloader issues(as discussed ad nauseum on the web), I moved the following files from ...tomcat/common/lib to .../tomcat/server/lib:
  • commons-logging-1.1.1.jar
  • log4j-1.2.8.jar
Now, everything seems to work fine yet I only found ONE(1) web site which gave this advice (and it was not directly related to missing log entries). Hope it helps someone else since I spent quite a bit of time perusing the web.

Any feedback is welcome (of a constructive sort), but here are the key points I will take away from this lesson:
  • I think I would recommend this for any web application setup that uses JCL (either directly or through a dependent JAR).
  • Tomcat logging is working correctly via a log4j.properties file in .../tomcat/server/classes, and all webapps seem to be logging correctly as configured in their web-inf/classes/log4j.xml file

Comments

Popular Posts